Social Skills Summer Camp For Special Needs Kids Ages 5-18
Now Enrolling for Summer Program 2023- June 26—Aug 4
Social Skills Summer Camps For Children With Special Needs
The Camp Excel Social Skills Summer Camp is a comprehensive summer program for groups of children ages 5-18 with mild special needs who have social skill challenges. It is a therapeutic program in a monmouth county, nj-based camp-like setting where children with special needs can improve social skills, maintain academic levels and enjoy summer camp adventures!
Special Needs Summer Camp Activities
We create a fun, safe, nurturing environment where children learn social skills in structured, interactive groups each day with a Master’s Level Therapist. Through therapeutic games and activities, group discussion, and role play, we focus on developing social skills, problem-solving, and building self-esteem. Throughout the day, our staff provides encouragement and guidance in using those skills, giving children the opportunity to experience in-the-moment learning that stays with them!
Our summer camp staff consists of an all-adult staff that includes our Directors, Master’s level therapists facilitating our Social Skills Groups, Special Education teachers in the classroom, a Full-Time Registered Nurse, and Adult Counselors who are mostly certified teachers. At Camp Excel, we maintain a high staff-to-camper ratio.
Academics are offered at our summer program to avoid regression over the summer months. Our Certified Special Education Teachers develop each child’s academic program based on information provided by the child’s last teacher and/or the IEP.
Our campers will enjoy swimming, off-site trips, arts and crafts, cooking, science and nature, and Special Events such as Camp Olympics, Talent Show, Wet and Wild Day, and Award Days.
We strive to keep our camp a comfortable size for our campers in order to avoid the hustle and bustle of larger, typical camps, as that setting can be overwhelming for our campers. In addition, the smaller camp setting allows for a more personal relationship between our Directors and Staff and our campers and families.
All new campers require an interview to determine if Camp Excel will meet the child’s needs. Children that benefit from the Camp Excel Program are high functioning, do not have significant cognitive delays, and do not have aggressive or significant behavioral issues.
Children are grouped by age in small groups of 6-12 campers with a high staff-to-camper ratio.
Camp Excel is a six-week program from the end of June through the beginning of August, Monday – Friday, 9:00 am to 3:00 pm, located at the pristine campus at Christian Brothers Academy in Lincroft, NJ. Campers can attend for a minimum of two weeks up to the full six weeks. Transportation is provided from central pick-up points for an additional fee.
At Camp Excel, we recognize the need for reinforcement of the social skills learned during the summer program. Therefore, to continue the success achieved at the Camp Excel Summer Program, Social Skill Groups are offered throughout the school year.
SAFETY AND SECURITY, Special Needs Social Skills Camp
At Camp Excel, based in Monmouth County, NJ, safety is our highest priority.
- Camp Excel is certified by the NJ Department of Health and follows all of the required safety, security, and care standards.
- All staff are fingerprinted, undergo criminal background checks, and are checked annually through the National Sex Offenders Registry.
- All Staff wears Camp Excel t-shirts daily at summer camp to differentiate Staff from visitors or unknown persons.
- Doors are kept locked, and visitors are required to check in at the Main Office.
- All staff receives extensive training on emergency procedures such as lockdown drills, fire drills, and other crisis situations.
- The Middletown Township Police, Fire Department, Emergency Rescue Squad, and Riverview Medical Center are all informed of the dates and times of summer camp.
- When someone other than a parent or guardian known to Camp Staff is picking up a child, a prior note or email is required to give permission. That person will be asked for a photo ID before the child can be released to them.
A full-time nurse is on-site during summer camp hours to take care of our campers’ health and medical needs. The nurse will communicate with parents if a camper becomes ill or has an injury.
- All staff have First Aid Training and are trained to use the AED units that are found throughout the building. Campers showing signs of something contagious will be isolated and then sent home.
- Camp Excel is a Peanut-Free Environment. We are very aware of the seriousness of food allergies and other allergies. All staff are trained in the use of EpiPens.
SUMMER CAMP RATES
|Rates||Transportation from Central Pick-Up Points|
|2 weeks (Minimum)||$3400||$400|
A deposit of $1000 is required to hold a place. Balance is due by May 1.
We accept cash, checks, Visa, MasterCard and Discover.
Funding Options may be available through your school district, Elks Club, Lion’s Club, Kiwanis Club, Shriner’s and other charitable organizations.